Thursday, October 01, 2009

The 49 Day Countdown

First-time babies are typically late. Your due date comes (and you're so so so soooo ready for it to be done)... and your due date passes. The majority of first time mom's deliver in the 41st or 42nd week. Not me, though. I learned today that one way or another, I'll be having this baby by November 21st. Apparently with all my complications (and there are even more - gestational diabetes is creating a lot of havoc) they won't LET me go past Novemeber 21st.

So, we have to hope I go into labor naturally before then. Daniel would really like it if the baby was born on his birthday, November 13th. I'd be cool with that. Of course, we want the baby to stay in the womb as long as possible because that's healthiest. But they consider you "full-term at 37 weeks" and Daniel's birthday is at 39 weeks. And the baby would be a scorpio. A ninja baby (I already suspect he is - or at least in ninja training).

If that doesn't happen, though, they will induce labor. And there is a third scenario...

When I get to the hospital (either because I'm in labor or because it's past 40 weeks and they're going to induce labor), they will do an ultrasound and measure how big the baby is (he's currently around 4lbs). If the baby is bigger than 11lbs the will "offer" (read: insist) on a c-section. If this kid is 11lbs, I will have a c-section. Done. With my pelvic problem and the potential dangers (to the baby) of delivering a kid that big, it's kind of a no-brainer. Funny that needing a c-section used to be my worst fear. Interesting note that Daniel was 10lbs 9oz when he was born. Biiiiig baby.

In other news, we found a doula we like. I REALLY like her. Even if I have c-section, she will keep us calm and centered, AND she will go with the baby if they need to do anything (very likely) and advocate for us with OUR values (ie - not give the baby sugar water and let me breastfeed instead). I think I would be a mess if Daniel had to leave me to go with the baby and I was left all alone. I hate the idea of the baby be taken out of my sight. But we'll see.

Last but not least, we FINALLY got our shower invites out. I feel TERRIBLE that it took so long and I know that most of our out of state friends and family aren't going to be able to make it. I was really conflicted as to if I should send an invite to people I know can't come. What would Emily Post do? I sent them anyway because I still want everyone to be involved as much as possible. Our geographic spread may be wide, but that just means there is love in more in places in the world.

:)

No comments: