Monday, October 12, 2009

An Unexpected Trip

It's that Murphy's Law thing: You take your car to the mechanic because it's making a noise. As soon as you get there, the car stops making the noise. You swear it was doing it just moments ago and the mechanic just looks at you like you're neurotic.

Midwives don't tend to look at you like you're neurotic. Thank God. I called this morning because all day yesterday I hardly felt the baby moving. Usually, he's an active little guy, surprising me with sudden strong kicks or stretching out and making my stomach lopsided. So, this morning I called to get a little reassurance. I know that babies in the womb are individuals and sometimes they have up days and some times they're more quiet, but I also know that the moving is something you're supposed to pay close attention to.

I was asked to come in immediately to another "non-stress test" (which is anything but not stressful). I went to my clinic and waited for 20 or 30 minutes. Family Maternity Center and Maternal Care Center sounded the same to me, I guess. I was told that, oops, the midwife, Mary (I like her a lot - I wouldn't mind at all if she delivered our baby) was waiting for me at the hospital. Ack. I didn't know I'd be going to the hospital. Now I'm sad that Daniel wasn't with me because I was about to get a glimpse of where we're going to go on the big day. Oh well.

Finally find the place and get set up in one of the delivery rooms. Pretty nice, actually, though the lack of a tub was a bummer (showers only). I get all hooked up and of course, the baby starts moving. Like, all over the place. I think he was playing "Can't Catch Me" with the monitor. Poor nurse. Just like last time, he insisted that we press the monitor (a round disk) down on him or he was outta there. Daniel had to hold this thing down on my belly for 45 minutes last time. Velcro straps be damned!

His heart rate was steady, nice and strong. But when he moved, it didn't go up a lot. They left me on this monitor for almost an hour until they were satisfied (as opposed to the 20 minutes planned). They also took my blood pressure which was surprisingly high (155/91). I've traditionally had excellent blood pressure. There is a condition called Pre-Eclampsia that can show up suddenly in late pregnancy, characterized by high blood pressure. It's often why women get put on bed rest.

With the results of the two tests, Mary decides we need to have two blood tests and an ultrasound. Crap. Now I'm really wishing Daniel was there. Murphy's Law: He took off work tomorrow for the ultrasound that I am now having today, and of course, he can't get off now, or get there in time even if he could. Blech. Fine. I'm a big girl. I can do it myself.

I have no idea what the blood tests were for despite asking three times. One had to do with the blood pressure, the other with diabetes. The blood pressure one came back normal and we'll find out about the diabetes one on Thursday.

The ultrasound. I got put on one of those gurney things and wheeled down to Diagnostic Imaging. Do. NOT. Like. Gurneys. No. No. No. Felt like I was being wheeled to some traumatic experimental surgery that would reveal a chronic debilitating something or other. Yeah. I'd have rather walked. The ultrasound guy was all business - didn't let me watch on a monitor, pressed really hard on the belly, then left me there for 45 minutes until someone came to get me. I fell asleep. Deep, snoring loudly sleep.

Oh, back story - the ultrasound that was scheduled for tomorrow was to check the amount of amniotic fluid I have. Apparently, in the last three weeks, I've suddenly begun to measure large. Too much amniotic fluid can cause some birth complications (like the umbilical cord coming out first when my water breaks, and subsequently being crushed by the baby's head requiring an emergency c-section). Needless to say, I've been a bit worried about this (add to the fifty other complications I seem to have developed).

The upshot. Everything looks good. My amniotic fluid is normal. The baby is doing fine. I do still have gestational diabetes, but it looks like its under control. They'll keep a close eye on the blood pressure. I'm ordered two days of bed rest (that I'm ignoring to write this). Also, I find it way more stressful to NOT do my work than to do it. But don't worry, I'm taking a nap after this.

And last, but not least, the nurse explained to me that with almost all Gestational Diabetic moms they'll induce labor BEFORE 40 weeks - usually at 39 weeks. So, Daniel may get his wish of sharing his birthday with his baby afterall.

No comments: