Saturday, September 26, 2009

Plan B

After four days of being on this bizarre diet with worse and worse results, I called the doctor. The numbers are supposed to be under 140 and they well consistently 150-180. Every time I tested my blood, Daniel and I would let out a disappointed sigh. Very discouraging, and worse, I was getting really worried about the baby. The doctor completely agreed that the numbers were out of whack and controlling the diabetes with diet alone wasn't working. She also explained that when the blood sugars were that out of control, exercising wouldn't do any good either. So much for all those walks I took to try to lower the numbers.

So they prescribed me an oral medication that lowers blood sugar. Glyburide. I guess they don't like to prescribe insulin for gestational diabetes because gd IS almost always temporary and having to inject insulin is so traumatic. I'm not complaining. There are possible side effects to the oral med though. The baby could be born with low blood sugar and need an IV. I'll be having a more in depth conversation with the doctor next week about this.

However, my blood sugar stabilized immediately! Thank God! Oh, I still have to continue with the strange diet and blood testing. In fact, it's time to test now, so I'm signing off. :)

No comments: