Friday, July 08, 2005

On Airports and Magazines

Perhaps you have the experience I do, and then again, perhaps not, in which case I’d say you are more fortunate than me. Let me explain: I love grocery stores. Millions of choices, exotic things to try, clean, bright, colorful, yup, I love ‘em! I shop like a child in a candy store even if I am only getting toothpaste. As a side- you know it’s somewhat similar to what I feel about airports and train stations: here are hundreds of people off doing extraordinary things. Sure you have the business guy who flies every other day, but most of the people at the airport are totally out of their normal routine and off having grand adventures, off to exciting places, to do exciting things, with exciting people -probably for the first time in their lives and maybe the only times (I love airports more than I love grocery stores). Okay back to grocery stores. As I near the completion of my grocery shopping trip I get a mix of a slight case of a sensory overload high and a sudden fear that I am going to miss something marvelous. As I am slowly corralled into the checkout aisle my eyes dart all over stopping for only a second on any given thing there and then…. then it happens: I hit the magazines and the world comes to a grinding halt: “Jennifer’s revenge-she’s smiling again”, “Marry Me! [Some guy] begs Oprah”, “10 DELICIOUS cakes under 200 calories”, “Unlock the secrets of the stars”, “Gweneth’s New Fashion Rules”, “[kid’s name] says, “I love you, Brad””, “Best Picnic Gear”, “101 Uses for Olive Oil”, “Paris hits negative five pounds!”, “Summer vacation for Brad and Angelina”, “Flatter Abs” “More Sex”, “Secrets Revealed”, I am swimming in a crystal clear, slick-coated, full color sea of 7 inch tall superstars and really good food photography! There is no grocery store, Daniel is not standing next to me, doesn’t even exist really, no one exists except me and the superstars and the food and all the knowledge that I NEED and apparently missed. But then, I did skip a lot of school.

Anyway, here is the koi fish I embroidered for my dad. Its eyes are crooked (you know, water bends light and all-I figured it would be an advantage) and its not done yet anyway. (But they eyes are staying crooked).

What the heck has everyone been doing? Its quiet as a mouse.

No comments: