Thursday, June 30, 2005

On $83 and Billy Idol

All kinds of exciting things are planned for today. I am going to make us a roast in our new cast iron dutch oven, I am going to go buy an embroidery hoop, and I'm going to apply for a job-or freelance, or something. I've been contemplating setting a wedding date for May of 2006. It would have to be after MayDay, of course. We were even thinking that we could drive out to MN for May Day and caravan back with people who don't want to fly to Portland, but still want to come to our wedding. The small amount of research I have done so far on weddings is truly eye-opening and bizarre. All I have to say is that if you are ever thinking about it, start saving now.

Speaking of saving, I have been reading Personal Finance for Dummies and I would like to highly recommend it to ALL OF YOU. Its SO good and easy to read and SO SO SO SO important. For instance, if you saved $83 a month in a retirement account that earned 10% (which I think is about average-or amybe you have to look around for one like that) that would be $1000/yr. First, you pay less income tax because you aren't taxed on retirement savings, so that saves you money right there, but THEN, after 5 years, the $5000 you have put in is actually more like $9600 or something. After 20 years, its $44,000. That's HUGE! OKay, that said, let me say this one other thing, if you hope to ever retire you will need 65-85% of your current income. So, if you make $30,000/yr, and you want to retire at 66, you will need approx. $22,500/yr in retirement. For 20 years of retirement thats 450,000! Start putting it away yall! Anyway, get the book. Its very good. (And teaches you all about the stock market).

No comments: