Thursday, September 15, 2005

On Rambling and Blubbering, really

The search is over, but only temporarily. But I won't be sending out anymore resumes for a while (which is partly inspired by the fact that my hard drive bit the dust and noooooo, I did not have it backed up!). But my surface reason is that I think I am officially employeed. I say "think" because it's all just so wierd. I will explain:

This is a two parter.

1. Apparently a person can start their own phone book. Dex doesn't have the corner market on them. This dude started a phonebook for the Northern and Central Oregon Coast (read: Astoria is included in that) a few years ago and he hired me to design the ads. The previous ads were designed by him and a few other people and wow, do they need a designer! For you design people out there imagine a heading that is -100 kerning, stretched 130% wide, stretched 110% tall, has a baseline shift of 5 pts for no apparent reason, and is a lightweight serif font with a 1.5 pt outline. The stuff is hideous. So, I am redoing them. I even find myself making large efforts to match the businesses' ads to their logos, which means finding out what the logos look like. Anyway, I work from home on this one, get a percentage of the ad cost (which works very well in my favor) and can do it full time for 5 months out of the year. I imagine that next year there won't be as many ads to re-do because they won't be nearly so appalling, so I might be working myself out of 5 months/yr and into 3. Alternatively, next year I could spread the work out and have a part-time job out of it, year round or at least 8 months or so. I work from home, have to take out my own taxes, and do as much or as little as I feel like. Yeah, its weird.

2. So, I was not at all comfortable with the situation above being my only job and I kept looking. I applied for many, many, many jobs. I got turned down for more than a few. I was called into this photo studio to take their 2 hour test (their method of weeding through resumes). I, of course, read up on everything I could get my grubbly little hands on that might relate to the test (read: I bought a book). When I went into take the test I discovered to my dismay that I had to do "knock outs" (remove the background) on three files , plus someother small tasks. I already knew how to do this, so I was aggravated that I'd studied other things so hard. But then I had to do some color matching excersize and discovered that I didn't know how to do it. I was so frustrated and sleep deprived that I almost got up and walked out. I did the best I could at making up an alternate way of acheiving the same effect and moved on. During the last 15 minutes I discovered how to do it, but it was to late to do it well, so I threw it together, made a proof sheet and left. I chalked that one up to a lesson learned and did not at all expect a phone call, which I got a few days later to come in for an interview. Shocked doesn't begin to describe it. The guy basically said that I did really good at most things and did something "wacky" with oune of them, the important thing being that they thought that I could learn. So then last Monday I had a test day at work and their one other hopeful worked on Tuesday. Last night I got a call asking me to come in 5 other days over the next 2 weeks. They never actually said, hey you got the job. We picked you! But, I think it is safe to assume now.

Did I say that it was a commercial photo studio? I worked on images for Nintendo Monday. Its part time, and from what I can tell, not super regular. I mean, I might get to work 2 days every week, those days might vary. I really am not sure. There are 2 other digital artists working there, both who have other freelance gigs and neither of whom want to work 40 hrs a week. So, I am there to take up the extra work that they can't get done. While I think there might be a minimum amount of work to expect, there may also be occasional 40 hour weeks. It does not pay as well as I'd like, and I am pretty sure there are no benefits. But, it *will* look good on my resume and it *is* work, and I *am* gaining experience.

Did I babble enough for you? What? No? Well...
I have to go now because I am taking a couple old paintings that my dad has had in his house for over 30 years to be appraised. Cool, huh? K, bye

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ilona, Congratulations. It looks like patience has paid off and you have some good experiences ahead of you. I miss you guys. Please give Daniel a hug for me.
Luv ya, Sheila

Ilona Wall said...

awhhhhhh! Thanks. I will give Daniel a hug for you. We got your letter, Thank you so much! So wanna come out here for Thanksgiving dinner? How about Christmas dinner?

Anonymous said...

Yes and yes. but the problem is money. I have none, especially with selling the house. No bites yet. I just hope I do not have to move in the middle of the winter. I will have to see what happens later on.