Friday, August 05, 2005

On Being A Great Artist

I go to art walks, galleries, museums, and see lots of art. I think to myself, "I can do that". But then I try, and I can't.

Lately, I have been very concerned with the idea of originality and really thinking that I lack something critical in that area.

Today I saw 6 very thick, grey, winter coat cut-outs (all different styles of coats-complete with giant white "stitching" details), slightly larger than life, suspended from the ceiling on after the other.

Today I saw puppets made from nylons, buttons, felt, that all had their own custom knitted leg/tentacle warmers.

Today I saw elegant encaustic paintings (that I thought, "I could do that").

Today I saw a very tall and thin peice of driftwood mounted onto a small wooden block. It looked like a strange creature, hand, fingers and arm reaching up to the sky.

I also saw a rooftop cabaret performance.

Oh, and I highly, HIGHLY recommend the movie, "you, me, and everyone we know" I saw that too.

I could not do that.

2 comments:

michael said...

eye-lona missing something in the originality department? hahahhaahahahaha. that's a good one. you're funny.

did you get the job?
how was the goonies house?
can we go there when alana and i come in the fall?
did i tell you yet that alana and i are coming in the fall?
i mean, would that be ok if that happened?

Ilona Wall said...

you should have seen my face when I heard you were coming here in the fall. I am thrilled.