Sunday, November 27, 2005

On The 9 To 5

Where to freakin' begin...

I have a new job. It is very strange. I was sitting at home one day working on phone book stuff and I got a call from some company in Vancouver, WA that found my portfolio on Coroflot.com and they were interested in interviewing me for a design position if I was interested. And, of course, I was. So, I did some research and came to the conclusion that I had no clue why this company would want me. Really, even though its been explained to me since, I still don't really get it. Check out my portfolio at bigwhistlestudios.com/ilona, then go to their site http://realityengineering.com/work/index.php

So, I got the job. I am the only female employee other than the HR person. Almost everyone there is a gamer. Dude, I work with a guy named Thor. I do have to say though that everyone is really really really nice. My first day was this last Monday. I had 2 meetings within the first half of the day, both with clients. Talk about being thrown into the fire. It was a good move on their part though-I actually really enjoyed it and think it went really well. The second day, I had a meeting with one of the programmers. I was so afraid that I was going to either a) be totally dumb about interactive stuff, b) be treated like I was dumb about interactive stuff, or c) be expected to know some really advanced stuff, at which point I would have to quit. None of these things happened. I even had some good suggestions. This phenomenon was repeated later that day when I had to go to a brainstorming meeting about a video game for Orthodontists about a new kind of braces. I was pretty much at a loss, but listened during the meeting and managed to make a couple remarkable suggestions that made everyone go, "oooh".

So, I feel pretty studdly. On Wednesday, I went in an hour early and left 2.5 hours early. It was my first experiement with what it means to be an salaried employee. I don't have to work 40 hours a week, I just have to get my work done. weird.

On the flip side, I'm finding that I really miss the people I worked with at the photo studio. I had a really good bye with the owner - he even told me to keep in touch and if I ever wanted to come back that the door would be open. But, I can't. It's less money, part-time, no benefits, contract work, and its production work vs. actually getting to be a designer. It's a no-brainer.
But, I might have to call some of them up and go out with them or invite them over.

Finally.

No comments: